HOME > Report

Report on the condition of the collection

Title: Collection of the Irish College in Paris

Period: 1316-1999

Description level: collection

Material size: approximately 16 linear metres

Provenance: The Irish College was an academic and ecclesiastical institution that welcomed Irish seminarists training for the priesthood who could not pursue their vocation in Ireland, due to the spread of Protestantism and the subsequent persecution of Catholics. It also accepted secular students. Founded in 1578 by the Reverend John Lee, it was both a place of residence and a place of study since classes were taught there. Irish students occupied several buildings in the capital, including the Collège de Montaigu and a building in rue de Sèvres, before settling in the former Collège des Lombards, rue des Carmes, around 1632. This occupancy was confirmed by patent letters of Louis XIV in 1677. In 1769, Lawrence Kelly, the prefect of the community of clerics and Irish novices, bought from Antoine François Boula de Montgodefroy, a member of Parliament, a large house in rue du Cheval Vert (today rue des Irlandais) with two small adjoining buildings in rue des Postes (now rue Lhomond). Work was carried out and in 1775 the students were able to use the new college buildings. Threatened with closure several times, particularly during the French Revolution, the Irish College in Paris survived, despite the political changes in the XIXth century and the vicissitudes of history, and was the last active Irish college in France. After having housed Polish seminarists from 1947 until the end of the 1990s, the college closed for renovation and reopened as the Centre Culturel Irlandais in 2002.

Sorting and elimination: none

Conservation history: more…

Presentation of the content: more…

Languages: French, English, Latin, Greek, Gaelic, Spanish, Italian, German, Dutch, Russian, Polish, Chinese, Turkish.

Additional sources: more…

Bibliography: more…

Access to the Archives : more…

Analysis performed on 16 November 2007 by Grahal i-doc, under the ISAD(G) standard.
© Centre culturel Irlandais / Access to the Archives / Credits

Home

Presentation

Search

Digitization

Version française

Access to the archives